Flinders Ranges Bush Walk Maintenance Program – in conjunction with the Walking Trails Support Group (WTSG)
Walks, like most assets, require regular upkeep.
In 2020 we have three x 2-week sessions, as folk found two x 3-weeks work and catering (without shops) less fun.
Southern Flinders, based in Quorn, working on Mt Brown and Dutchman May 4 to 15, leaving 16
Central Flinders, based at Oraparinna in Ikara-Flinders Ranges National Park, working in park, June 8 to 18, leaving 19
Northern Flinders, based at Vulkathunha-Gammon Ranges National Park, working in park, Arkaroola and north, July 20 to 30, leaving 31
Accommodation is provided gratis but feeding is your responsibility
- well-found shearers quarters or equivalent, good ablution and kitchen facilities in all places
- bring bedding, including a cover for mattress – and generally have your own room
Period and travel
- a minimum of five days is necessary to become familiar with activity
- subject to availability, there may be help with transport
Activity includes plenty of walking
- there is a wide range from checking markers to work on tracks. We try to match activity to capacity
- usually activity is between 8.00am and 4.00 pm, including travel to and from the work site
- all equipment is provided but you do need a day pack, warm work clothes, strong footwear, a hat and wet weather gear
- in line with the RGSSA’s objective of making the public aware of geographical information the walks were established to support the Society’s publication “Explore the Flinders Ranges”
- In 2002 the Society was part of a collaborative effort to install the Robert Brown Lookout at the summit of Mt Brown, celebrating the explorers’ ascent in 1802
- interpretation of landscape, biological and geological features is the main objective; recent emphasis is on geology as shown in the picture
- how you get to see them is along the safe, sustainable walks which we maintain.
- leaflets have been available at the start of each walk and recently Flinders Ranges Walks App was developed.
Please direct your interest and queries to the RGSSA office