Who We Are
The Royal Geographical Society of South Australia (Inc.) is a voluntary, not-for profit organisation for advancing geographical science and promoting public awareness and enjoyment of Geography and related topics. Membership of the Society is by subscription and is open to anyone. While the Society takes a special interest in the geography of South Australia and its immediate region, it also extends to the global scale.
The Society is governed by an elected Council. The Society’s business is managed by a series of Committees responsible to the Council (Publications, Library, Geographical Heritage (not currently active – formed as required), Research and Awards, Program and Administration).
The Society’s Purpose is to:
- Advance public awareness of, and interest in, geography and related disciplines, including environmental issues.
- Encourage research and scholarship in geography.
- Recognise and reward achievements in geography.
- Commemorate past achievements of significance to geography.
This is achieved through:
- A program of public lectures, exhibitions and field activities.
- Publishing geographical material, including fully refereed research papers and items of popular and topical interest.
- Encouraging interest in all aspects of environmental, economic and social geography.
- Maintaining an extensive library and historical collections.
- Providing grants for research and awards to geography students and outstanding geographers.
- Conserving and managing collections and monuments relating to the geographical heritage of South Australia and other parts of Australia.