This banner was embroidered in 1986 by Mrs Eva Chambers, President of the Embroiderers' Guild of South Australia. The banner was presented to the Society on 10th July 1985 by President Brian Ward and his wife June at a special meeting of the Council held to mark the centenary of the formation of the Society on 10 July 1885.
On 10 July 1885 "Decisive steps in the formation of this Society were taken at the Preliminary Meeting held on the afternoon of 10 July 1885 at the Banqueting Room of the Adelaide Town Hall." (Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society of South Australia, Centenary Issue, Volume 1985 pp112, 113).
The special meeting in 1986 was followed by a celebratory supper held at Beaumont House, the former home of the Society's first president, Sir Samuel Davenport.
The banner was re worked in 1999 when the name of the Society was changed from the Royal Geographical Society of Australasia to its current title the Royal Geographical Society of South Australia.
Not catalogued. On display in the RGSSA Library.