The Research, Publications and Awards Committee (RPAC) assists Council to fulfill its purposes of:
- advancing public awareness of, and interest in, geography and related disciplines, including environmental issues;
- encouraging research and scholarship in geography; and
- recognising and rewarding achievements in geography.
It does this by:
- developing and managing the Society’s research grants program;
- advising Council on matters of research, particularly projects conducted in the name of, or with the approval of, the Society;
- overseeing the direction of the Society’s publications including the newsletter, GeoNews, the 136-year old South Australian Geographical Journal, maps, and miscellaneous books; and
- co-ordinating the Society’s program of awards for school and university students as well as for others within the Society and more broadly who contribute to the Society’s mission of advancing geographical science and promoting public awareness, appreciation, and enjoyment of Geography.
Through its activities RPAC is encouraged to challenge the thinking of the Council and Society with the development of new ideas and is required to keep Council regularly informed of the Society’s research, publications, and awards activity.